How do chose your Wedding Caterer
Posted on October 12, 2017 by QWA
Finding a wedding caterer can be almost as hard as choosing your venue – sometimes even more daunting! With your venue you choose it because you find a connection with how it represents you both as a couple and 9 times out of 10 your friends and family will love it for that very reason! With your dress – a girl just knows!
Choosing food for all of your guests – not so easy!!! As this is going to be the biggest food bill you’ll ever have – make sure it’s exactly what YOU BOTH want!
We’ve put together some top tips and advice for couples who are yet to decide on what’s going to be on the menu for the big day!
– Make sure you start contacting caterers well in advance, some of the best ones can be booked a year or more out!
– Make sure you choose the food that YOU want to eat! FACT – your NEVER going to please everyone, and your paying the bill!
– Ask friends and relatives for recommendations
– Usually big hotels, privately run venues and special-event facilities will have a list of preferred suppliers. This will take the pressure off you choosing, or at least whittle down the options if you have no idea where to start!
– Ask your photographer, florist, beautician if they have any recommendations – people in the trade usually have a good rapport with venues as they spend more time eating there than at home during wedding season!!
-It’s great to get advice and there will be things your caterer can suggest that you may not have thought of – after all they are the professionals. But also make sure your caterer listens to what you want – don’t be swayed into going with what they think tastes good or is en vougue at the moment – it’s your day!
– Make sure you go for a tasting – 2 or more if the option is available! Seeing a chef with food is ultimately a great test of passion – however you’ll be serving their food so that’s the more important aspect!
“Once having found your caterer trust them and relax, weddings shouldn’t be stressful.” Rach & Paula Double Thyme
Questions to ask your caterer – some helpful good-to-know questions before you sign on the dotted line…..
– Does the caterer have the correct licence – for a food licence (meeting the local department standards is always good) and if they are supplying beverage a liquor licence needs to be held by the duty manager on site who will take liability of the responsible service of alcohol.
– References are always helpful – ask a couple who had similar style of menu and service to see how the company were to work with and how they delivered the reception menu style.
– Does the caterer specialise in any certain food preferences you and your partner have, e.g Gluten Free, ethically sourced, local produce, vegan etc… not only will they have the skills, this could reflect on your price point (let’s face it asking a sushi chef to prepare a roast dinner isn’t going to end well…)
– Does your caterer provide staff, setting up, clearing up – you don’t want to be stacking chairs in your wedding dress!!
– When do you need to finalise number and pay deposits?
– Does your caterer provide a wedding cake – never assume this is included in a wedding menu, usually again, there are specialist wedding cake pastry chefs for this.
– If you are using an off-site caterer at a chosen venue, ask if they have worked there before, what they will need in addition to the tables and chairs etc..
Get in touch with some of our fabulous catering members for more inspiration and guidance today – they are all local food guru’s and you will be in safe hands when it comes to ensuring you’ve picked the perfect menu for your big day!